Restoring the monster (1000-ZXL)
This is my repaired “to as new condition” 1000-ZXL.
I welcome myself into the “I Restored a Nak-1000 ZXL and survived” hall of fame.
These are the faults I found:
- No meters.
- Bad dynamics on meter after PP caps replacement.
- Bad 400Hz tone (PP cap problem).
- No FF, REW or PLAY, because of idler tyre.
- High W&F, needed new belts.
- Worn pressure rollers / guides, out of alignment.
- Hardened grease, and oil spill all over mech.
- Damaged (chipped) erase head.
These are the repairs I had to make:
- Orange PP caps replaced in all boards.
- Troubleshoot meter dynamics: Bad CMOS Switch on Display board was replaced.
- Troubleshoot az. adjustment: Bad Flip-Flop on logic board replaced.
- Full electronic calibration
- Demagnetized Heads.
- Change idler tyre & belts.
- Clean old grease, re-lubricate.
- Fit new erase head, rollers, guides.
- Full mech. alignment.
- Wood cabinet sent for full restoration (no pics available yet).